Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
The Home Inspection certificate is designed to introduce students to a vast array of practical and technical skills and tools and prepare them for a career in the home inspection industry. This program provides training aligned with the professional standards of the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI) and the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI). This diploma program provides students with:
- knowledge of roof inspections, focusing on system performance, safety concerns, and conformity with good construction practice
- the ability to handle disputes with effective resolutions
- comprehension of the structural components of a residential dwelling
- the ability to inspect installed heating equipment as well as identify the energy source, type, material, condition, and any safety concerns related to this equipment
- knowledge to identify typical defects on cooling systems and apply correct inspection techniques
- awareness of the interior water supply and distribution systems
- the ability to inspect all aspects of a dwelling’s exterior
- the knowledge to build an independent business
- the ability to create, write and deliver reports
- basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
* Not all programs are offered at each location.
Home inspection is a fast growing profession. The home inspector takes part in multiple tasks, including the examination of the physical condition of a home and the preparation of a technical report. Graduates of this program will be prepared to work in either the private or public sector of the home inspection industry, as well as have an opportunity to become self-employed.
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Building Inspection and Maintenance
Roofing Inspection, Structure Inspection, Electrical Inspection, Heating Inspection 1 and 2, Air Conditioning & Heat Pumps Inspection, Plumbing Inspection, Exterior Inspection, Interior & Insulation Inspection, Communication & Professional Practice, and Building Your Home Inspection Business.