Grade 12 or equivalent graduate or Mature Student status (i.e., 19 years of age or over with at least one year out of high school) and subject to the discretion of the college Director. Grade 12 or equivalent graduates who cannot supply appropriate proof and Mature Students will be required to complete an entrance examination to properly assess their personal strengths and weaknesses. A good command of the English language, an ability to work with an individualized learning system (particularly the Integrated Learning™ System) or online learning as applicable, and an ability to follow instructions are required.
The Paralegal Diploma program is designed to prepare students for a wide range of positions within the paralegal field. Throughout the program, students learn both the theoretical and practical aspects of the paralegal profession, ranging from the Canadian constitutional structure to practical approaches for legal research, fact investigation, and writing of legal-related documents. The paralegal field offers many employment opportunities in almost every sector of the economy as it touches on many aspects of our society. To this effect, the program curriculum provides students with knowledge of the various processes of civil litigation in Ontario, court proceedings, and trial stages as well as those pertaining to lower courts, such as Small Claims. The program also aims to educate students in areas of law, such as business and corporate, creditor-debtor, and family law. It also touches upon employment and real estate law, among others. Students gain legal skills such as advocacy, negotiation, and interviewing. The program equips students with day-to-day skills required in the legal services sector and familiarizes them with office management procedures, various legal software packages often used in law firms, and the basics of accounting principles required by the Law Society. Graduates of this accredited Paralegal Diploma program will be entitled to apply to the Law Society of Upper Canada to write their licensing examination.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Recent studies indicate that strong growth in Paralegal jobs is expected over the next few years. Paralegals are employed by law firms, record search companies, and in legal departments throughout the public and private sectors. Careers requiring the paralegal skills include:
- Commercial Law Paralegal
- Corporate Paralegal
- Criminal Law Paralegal
- Designated Paralegal
- Family Law Paralegal
- Foreclosure Paralegal
- Insurance Paralegal
- Labor Law Paralegal
- Litigation Paralegal
- Mortgage and Real Estate Paralegal
- Property Paralegal
- Real Estate Paralegal
- Wills and Estates Paralegal
- Collection Paralegal
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Business Skills Grammar Essentials for Business Writing
- Office Skills Basic Bookkeeping Level 1 and Personal Computer Fundamentals for End Users
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Legal Introduction to the Legal System Parts I and II, Client Care for Legal Professionals, Administrative Law, Legal Research and Memorandum Writing, Evidence and the Litigation Process, Tort and Contract Law, Criminal/Summary Conviction Law, Employment Law, Provincial Offences/Motor Vehicle Law, Insurance Law/SABS, Small Claims Court, Legal Writing and Communications, Tribunal Practice and Procedure, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, Legal Computer Applications, Residential Landlord and Tenant Law, Advocacy, Immigration and Refugee Law Overview, Economic Classes, Family Sponsorship, Temporary Status, Refugee Protection, Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Practice Management/Operating a Small Business, Legal Accounting
- Worksite Externship The externship exposes the student to a working environment where classroom instruction is put into practice. This allows the student to link classroom knowledge and training to real life, practical activities.