From the websites we visit everyday to the packaging in grocery stores, graphic design is everywhere! And graphic designers are needed in almost every industry.
If you are a creative person who likes to make things look good, a career in Graphic Design might be for you. Here is what you need to know about starting a Graphic Designer career in Canada including wages, outlooks, skills needed, and graphic design courses.
What does a graphic designer do?
Graphic design is the art of combining text, images, and graphics in a vibrant and appealing way. They are skilled in computer design software, work with typefaces and type styles, and often create product labels and logos for companies.
A graphic designer’s final work may be displayed on websites, magazines, newspapers, product packaging, publications and brochures.
Qualify for a variety of jobs with a Graphic Designer diploma
Graphic designers can be found in marketing and advertising firms, software development companies, book publishers, and media companies. Some graphic designers are self-employed and do design projects for a wide variety of clients. The sky is the limit when it comes to organizations looking for great design work!
Here are a few jobs you can get with a Graphic Designer diploma:
- Graphic Designer
- Graphic Artist
- Layout Artist
- Layout Designer
Salary & Career Outlook
Graphic Designer salaries are variable and largely depend on factors like job requirements, experience, and geographic location. According to the Department of Employment and Social Development Canada:
- On average, Graphic Designers in Canada make $23.50/hour.
- There are approximately 21,400 new job openings projected in this field between 2017 and 2026.
- 84% of workers in this occupation work full-time.
How Can I Become a Graphic Designer?
At Academy of Learning Career College, Canada’s largest career college network, we are excited to offer a new Graphic Designer diploma program at selected campuses. This program is designed to teach you the skills and techniques needed to succeed in a graphic design or similar career. As a Graphic Designer student at AOLCC, you will:
- Learn techniques for creating digital images, illustrations, and layouts using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign,
- Develop a strong theoretical foundation in color, typography, and composition,
- Work with expert faculty and a learning coach who are ready to provide support whenever you need it, and
- Gain hands-on experience through a wide range of graphic design projects that will help you prepare for entry into the job market.