- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong commitment to confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Successful completion of admissions interview and testing for adequate entry-level skills
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent and meet the minimum provincial age requirement
- Two letters of reference regarding personal character
- A recent, clear Criminal Records Check.
- Good command of the English language (both written and oral)
With an aging population, the tremendous advances in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well-trained personnel. This program is designed to provide employment-ready, comprehensively trained graduates.
This program provides students with the basic knowledge, skills, and work experience needed to become permanently employable in any medical setting, with special skills suited to working in a dental practice.
Successful graduates will earn the CMAP – Certified Medical Assisting Professional designation, in addition to their diploma. They are fully qualified to work in a hands-on administrative/clinical support capacity in any medical field, such as dental practices (both large and small), as well as in a variety of healthcare industries.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.
Graduates of this program are qualified to work in a wide variety of healthcare settings and occupations. Job titles vary, but graduates are an integral part of many healthcare settings, such as:
- Hospital nursing units or outpatient departments
- Hospital admitting/ER departments (e.g., switchboard, cash desk, information centre, patient registration, and morgue)
- Ambulatory/outpatient departments
- Diagnostic lab/x-ray departments
- Medical finance and administrative departments
- Health records departments
- long term and extended care departments
- Physicians’ offices, clinics, mental healthcare centres, and allied healthcare centers
- Walk-in care centers
- Day care and ambulatory clinics
- Group homes and community living societies
- Insurance companies
- Operating room booking/bed booking
- Complementary and alternative medicine clinics (e.g., chiropractic and acupuncture centres)
- Physical and occupational therapy clinics
- Medical supply companies
- Dental practices (private and corporate)
Minimum 40 words per minute (WPM).
- Operating Systems
Basic level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing
Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Business Skills
- Office Skills
Microsoft Outlook Level 1, Basic Bookkeeping Level 1, Introduction to the Internet, and Introduction to Personal Computers for End Users
- Help Desk & Call Centre Skills
Telephone Communication Skills
- Healthcare (Instructor-Led)
Dental Administrative Assistant Level 1 and Level 2, Career Vitals Exercises, and Placement