Grade 12 or equivalent graduate or Mature Student status (19 years of age or over with at least one year out of high school) and subject to the discretion of the college Director. Grade 12 or equivalent graduates who cannot supply appropriate proof and Mature Students will be required to complete an entrance examination to properly assess their personal strengths and weaknesses. Good command of the English language, ability to work with an individualized learning system, particularly the Integrated Learning™ System, or online learning as applicable, and ability to follow instructions.
This program prepares students for the exciting and challenging world of the law clerk. During the program, students learn both the knowledge and skills necessary to assist an Ontario lawyer in various practice areas, such as civil litigation, criminal, family, real estate, corporate and commercial, and wills and estates practice. The program equips students with everyday skills required to perform office procedures under a lawyer’s direction with a focus on case and file management, time and financial management, client communication, and record keeping in compliance with professional standards. Students are prepared to write one or all of the four provincial law clerk examinations (i.e., litigation, corporate law, real estate, and wills and estates).
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Recent studies indicate that strong growth in law clerk jobs is expected over the next few years. Law clerks are employed by law firms, corporate law departments, government departments and agencies, courts and tribunals, financial companies, and real estate title insurers. Careers requiring the skills learned in this program include:
- Commercial Law Clerk
- Legal Assistant
- Corporate Law Clerk
- Litigation Law Clerk
- Wills and Estates Law Clerk
- Criminal Law Clerk
- Family Law Clerk
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 40 words per minute (WPM)
- Office Skills Basic Bookkeeping Level 1, Personal Computer Fundamentals for End Users, Word Level 1 and 2, and Excel Level 1
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Strategies for Success and Job Search and Résumé Writing
- Office Skills Introduction to the Legal System, Introduction to the Legal System Part II, Legal Office Procedures, Client Care for Legal Professionals, Legal Research and Memorandum Writing, Legal Writing and Communications, Legal Computer Applications Legal Accounting, Tort and Contract Law, Employment Law, Insurance Law/SABS, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation Family Law, Small Claims Court, Debtor-Creditor Law and Procedure, Real Estate Law, Business and Corporate Law, Wills and Estates Law, and Specialized Legal Software
- Worksite Externship The Work Place Practicum exposes the student to a working environment where classroom instruction is put into practice. This allows the student to link classroom knowledge and training with real life practical activities.