Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
Meetings, events, and conventions are one of the fastest growing segments of the economy and embrace multiple aspects of all industries. The Conference and Event Planner Diploma is designed to prepare students for careers in the fast-paced and exciting world of conference and event management. This program appeals to individuals who are charismatic, outgoing, energetic, and entrepreneurial, as the Conference and Event Planner plays a dynamic role within any organization. Its objective is to expose students to a broad range of knowledge and processes, administration skills, and practical tools that will assist them in addressing situations that arise within a conference and event planning-related career. The program provides the skills to progress into higher-level positions, given the proper combination of skills, experience, personal attributes, and additional training. This program provides students with:
- The knowledge and skills necessary to lead and/or assist in the development and/or implementation of conferences and events for a variety of business sectors.
- An introduction to the most relevant aspects of planning and coordinating event logistics.
- Professional skills in high demand by employers. These skills include: negotiating, decision making, teamwork, communication, customer service, leadership, research and problem solving.
- A solid knowledge of event planning and marketing practices and principles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Graduates of this program are employed by tourism, trade and professional associations, convention and conference centres, government agencies, and conference and event planning companies. Careers that correspond with the skills learned in this program include.
- Conference and Meeting Planner
- Conference Planner
- Conference Services Officer
- Convention Coordinator
- Event Planner
- Special Events Organizer
- Trade Show Planner
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Operating Systems Basic level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Graphic/Presentation Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint and Publisher
- Office Skills Internet Fundamentals, Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, and Basic Bookkeeping Level 1
- Business Skills Business Essentials, Business Math, Business Correspondence Level 1 and Level 2, Business Verbal Communication, Business Negotiations & Contracts, Business Financial Management, Grammar Essentials for Business Writing, Customer Service, Management Fundamentals, Business Supervisory Skills, Business Presentations, Human Resources Management, Event Marketing, Marketing & Sales, Marketing Administration, Project Level 1, and Project Management Fundamentals Level 1, Conference and Event Management
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Job Search and Résumé Writing and Employment Success Strategies