MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT
This program is designed to provide employment-ready, comprehensively trained graduates. Successful graduates will be eligible to achieve the CMAP – Certified Medical Assisting Professional designation in addition to their diploma.
These graduates are fully qualified to work in a hands-on administrative/clinical support capacity in any medical field. They will participate in the delivery of a variety of healthcare industry tasks, including:
- Patient reception and customer service
- Bed booking, OR booking, patient registration, and patient scheduling
- Health Information Management
- Basic dictation and transcription
- Patient filing methods and record keeping
- Supplies and inventory, correspondence, and mail processing
- Banking services and procedures
- Billing and collection procedures
- Coding and claims processing
- Patient positioning and draping
- Aseptic concepts and infection control
- Vitals signs, CPR, and First Aid
- Clinical assistance with patient exams
- Patient education
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a strong commitment to confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Completion of the ‘Wonderlic’ Scholastic Level Equivalent test – with a score of 20 points or better
- Successful completion of admissions interview and testing for adequate entry-level skills
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, and meet the minimum provincial age requirement
- A clear relevant Criminal Records Check
- A good command of the English language (written and oral)
- An adequate level of physical health to meet the requirements of the program and prospective employment
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
Enter Your Name
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."