MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT
This program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become permanently employable in various medical settings. Skill development is delivered in three areas:
- Comprehensive medical administrative knowledge, which includes medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, hospital and medical office administrative, and clinical procedures
- Full-range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills of 55 wpm, general office management, and accounting, personal and professional development, customer service
- On-site work experience through participation in a 1 month clinical externship at an approved healthcare training facility
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a strong commitment to confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Completion of the ‘Wonderlic’ Scholastic Level Equivalent test – with a score of 20 points or better
- Successful completion of admissions interview and testing for adequate entry-level skills
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, and meet the minimum provincial age requirement
- A clear relevant Criminal Records Check
- A good command of the English language (written and oral)
- An adequate level of physical health to meet the requirements of the program and prospective employment.
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."