HEALTH UNIT COORDINATOR
With an aging population, the tremendous advances in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well-trained personnel. This program is designed to provide employment-ready, comprehensively trained graduates.
Successful graduates will achieve the CMAP® – Certified Medical Assisting Professional designation, in addition to their diploma. They are fully qualified to work in a hands-on administrative/clinical support capacity in any medical field, such as a unit clerk in a hospital nursing unit or outpatient department. Some of their tasks and duties would include:
- Maintaining patient charts and transcribing doctor’s orders related to: surgery, patient activity and patient positioning, nursing unit observation, nursing treatment; dietary, medication, diagnostic imaging, laboratory (including recording of telephoned orders), admission, discharge, transfer, and post-mortem
- Admitting, pre-op procedures, and hospital census recording
- Patient scheduling including: bed, operating room, ambulatory, ambulance and community special services
- Recording vital signs, ordering diets, ordering supplies, processing daily laboratory tests and filing reports, handling emergencies and special services
- Administrative duties, including: knowledge of basic lab tests, ability to take vital signs and administer CPR/First Aid, knowledge of medical asepsis and infection control, assist with patient examinations, patient charting and health records, recording basic medical history, transcription
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a strong commitment to confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Successful completion of admissions interview and testing for adequate entry-level skills
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, and meet the minimum provincial age requirement
- Two letters of reference regarding personal character
- A recent, clear Criminal Records Check
- Good command of the English language (written and oral)
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."