Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instruction. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them. Part-time students may set their own schedules to a minimum of two training sessions per week. These times may be scheduled during the day, evenings, or on weekends.
Anyone planning to enter the payroll field must have good computer skills and be familiar with automated payroll systems. This program provides students with the necessary skills and knowledge required to provide supervision in the payroll department. The student will become familiar with basic payroll practices and procedures, as well as the more complex aspects of payroll. This prepares the student to apply to the CPA for both Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification. In addition to accounting and payroll expertise, students gain skills and experience in business correspondence, office procedures, management fundamentals, and performing a job search.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Payroll supervisors are employed by banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, and other establishments throughout the private and public sectors. Careers that correspond with the skills learned in this program include:
- Payroll Supervisor
- Accounting Supervisor
- Bookkeeping Supervisor
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute (WPM)
- Operating Systems Basic level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Office Skills Internet Fundamentals, Office Procedures Levels 1 and 2, and Basic Bookkeeping Levels 1 and 2
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Thought Patterns for a Successful Career
- Accounting QuickBooks Premier, Sage 50 Premium Accounting, Payroll Compliance Legislation, and Payroll Fundamentals 1
- Simulations and Drills Business & Office Accounting Clerk Practical Simulation
- Office Skills Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook
- Business Skills Human Resource Management, Business Supervisory Skills
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Employment Success Strategies and Job Search and Resume Writing
- Simulations and Drills Practical Applications 1 Unit
- Accounting Payroll Fundamentals 2