Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
The goal of this program is to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of office procedures, communications, word processing, terminology and medical billing. Graduates of this program will find that they are an integral part of the medical community and assist the healthcare team by building trust, and creating a safe environment for patients and their families while performing a variety of duties.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Medical Administrative Assistants work in doctors’ offices, hospitals, medical clinics, pharmaceutical companies, government health agencies and a variety of other medical office settings. They are integral members of the health care delivery team and perform many administrative and some basic clinical procedures. Typical Job Titles include Medical Office Assistant, Medical Secretary, Medical Billing Clerk/Secretary, Medical Office Administrator, Medical Receptionist, Clinical Assistant, Ward Secretary and Booking Clerk.
- Keyboarding Minimum 40 words per minute (WPM)
- Operating System Advanced level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Office Skills Office Procedures Level 1, Internet Fundamentals, Personal Computer Fundamentals for End Users, basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, and Basic Bookkeeping Levels 1 and 2
- Business Skills Business Correspondence Level 1, and Grammar Essentials for Business Writing
- Help Desk & Call Centre Skills Telephone Communication Skills
- Healthcare Introduction to Medical Terminology and Medical Transcription,
- Simulations & Drills Practical Applications 2 Units
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Job Search & Résumé Writing
- Keyboarding Minimum 55 words per minute (WPM)
- Healthcare Medical Office Procedures and EHR, Billing and Coding
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Thought Patterns for a Successful Career and Medical Administration Practicum
- Business Skills Customer Service
- Simulations and Drills Medical Receptionist Practical Simulation