Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions.Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instruction. Full time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them. Part time students may set their own schedules to a minimum of two training sessions per week. These times may be scheduled during the day, evenings, or on weekends.
Anyone planning to enter the accounting or payroll fields must have good computer skills and be familiar with computerized accounting and automated payroll systems. This program provides graduates with the necessary skills to maintain complete sets of books, keep records of accounts, verify the procedures used for recording financial transactions, and provide personal bookkeeping services. It also provides students with the necessary skills and knowledge required to perform payroll administrative responsibilities in the payroll department. The student will write the Canadian Payroll Association’s (CPA) Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) exams, a requirement for the PCP certification. In addition to accounting and payroll expertise, students gain basic skills and experience in business correspondence, office procedures, performing a job search, and being successful in today’s workplace environment.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Careers in computerized accounting are in continuous high demand. Excellent opportunities exist for skilled persons in a variety of accounting related positions, including the role of accounting bookkeeper, across the public and private sectors. Payroll administrators are employed by payroll administration companies and by other establishments throughout the private and public sectors. Careers that correspond with the skills learned in this program include:
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounts Assistant
- Pay and Benefits Administrator
- Payroll Clerk
- Pay and Benefits Clerk
- Salary Administration Officer
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute (WPM).
- Operating Systems Basic level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Business Skills Business financial management, human resource management, business English/grammar, and business math skills and applications
- Accounting Sage 50 Premium Accounting, Payroll Compliance Legislation, Payroll Fundamentals 1 and 2, and QuickBooks Premier
- Job Search/Employability Skills Job Search & On the Job Training