Grade 12 or equivalent. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions. Full time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them. Part time students may set their own schedules to a minimum of two training sessions per week. These times may be scheduled during the day, evenings, or on weekends.
This program prepares students to address the problems they may encounter when supporting personal computers in an office environment. It provides in-depth knowledge of both computer hardware and software and prepares students to take the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Server+ certification exams. Students will gain practical, hands-on experience in trouble shooting computer problems and assembling a computer.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.
Skilled PC Support Specialists are in high demand in today’s highly skilled environment. Virtually all organizations with multiple computers require the skills of PC Support Specialists who may, in turn, become invaluable members of a management team.
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute.
- Operating Systems Advanced level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Graphic/Presentations Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint or basic level of proficiency in Publisher
- Database Management Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Office Skills Microsoft Outlook Level 1, Internet Fundamentals and Personal Computer Fundamentals for Technical Users
- Business Skills Customer Service Essentials and Management Fundamentals OR Workplace Success/Intrapreneurship
- Help Desk and Call Centre Skills Help Desk Support Analyst
- PC Troubleshooting CompTIA A+ Certification: 220-901 and CompTIA A+ Certification: 220-902
- Computer Networking CompTIA Network +, CompTIA Server +, and CompTIA Security +
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Job Search and Résumé Writing and Occupational Health and Safety
- Optional 4 week work term