Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
The objective of this program is to provide the student with the opportunity to acquire knowledge of business concepts, as well as gain valuable computerized accounting and office skills. This program provides graduates with the necessary skills to maintain complete sets of books, keep records of accounts, verify the procedures used for recording financial transactions, and provide personal bookkeeping services.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Careers in computerized accounting are continuously in high demand. Excellent opportunities exist for skilled persons in a variety of accounting related positions, including the role of accounting bookkeeper, across the public and private sectors.
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute.
- Operating Systems Advanced level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word processing Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Accounting ACCPAC General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Sage 50 Premium Accounting, QuickBooks Premier, Payroll Compliance Legislation, and Payroll Fundamentals 1 and 2
- Business Skills Business Math, Management Fundamentals, Business Correspondence Level 1 and Level 2, Business Essentials, and Business Financial Management
- Office Skills Basic Bookkeeping Level 1 and Level 2, Personal Computer Fundamentals for End Users, Microsoft Outlook Level 1, and Office Procedures Level 1
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Job Search and Résumé Writing and Occupational Health and Safety
- Optional 4 week work term
- Office Simulations, Practical Exercises and Drills (if needed)