- Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student status.
- Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instructions.
- An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program.
- Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
This diploma program is designed to prepare students for working in the education field. Its objective is to provide students with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue employment as an Educational Assistant. During the duration of the program, participants will be acquainted with the various disciplines theories and best practices related to child development, children learning processes and teaching techniques, classroom management and student supervision. The program also covers the different roles the Educational Assistant plays in both the special education and early childhood.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.
This program provides the student with a range of skills and knowledge required to assist elementary and secondary school teachers and counsellors. Employment opportunities for Educational Assistant program graduates reside in public and private elementary and secondary schools, special schools and treatment centres.
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute.
- Office Skills Internet Fundamentals, basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, and Punctuation and Writing Skills
- Operating Systems Basic level of proficiency in a Windows operating system
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Access
- Graphics/Presentation Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint
- Educational Assistant Child Development and Human Behavior, Skill for the Effective Teacher Aide, Enhancing Children’s Self-Esteem, How Children Learn, Classroom Management techniques, Overview of teaching Techniques, Student Supervision, Early Childhood Education & After-school Day Care Program, Language and Other Barriers, Teacher Aide in the Special Education Setting, Children, Families, and Society, Helping Abused Children, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Educational Assistant Practicum
- Healthcare First Aid, CPR Certificate – Level C