- excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a strong commitment to confidentiality and integrity
- excellent organizational and time-management skills
- completion of the ‘Wonderlic’ Scholastic Level Equivalent test - with a score of 18 points or better.
- successful completion of admissions interview and testing for adequate entry-level skills
- completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, and meet the minimum provincial age requirement
- a clear and relevant Criminal Records Check
- a good command of the English language (written and oral)
- an adequate level of physical health to meet the requirements of the program and prospective employment.
With the aging population, the tremendous increase in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well-trained personnel. Throughout the North American healthcare industry, there is an acute need to increase the size of the workforce, as well as to raise the skill level of that workforce. This program is designed to provide employment-ready, comprehensively trained graduates. Successful graduates will be eligible to achieve the CMAP – Certified Medical Assisting Professional designation in addition to their diploma. These graduates are fully qualified to work in a hands-on administrative/clinical support capacity in any medical field, and they will participate in the delivery of a variety of healthcare industry tasks.
* Not all programs are offered at each location.Available at...
Graduates of this program are qualified to work in a wide variety of healthcare settings and occupations. Job titles vary per location, but graduates are an integral part of many healthcare settings, including:
- Hospital Admitting/ER departments, such as Switchboard, Cashier, Information, Patient Registration, Morgue;
- Ambulatory/Outpatient departments;
- Diagnostic Lab/X-Ray departments;
- Medical Finance & Administrative departments;
- OR Booking/Bed Booking;
- Health Records Department;
- Long Term & Extended Care departments;
- Physicians’ Offices, Clinics, Mental Healthcare & Allied Health Care Centres;
- Walk-in Care Centres;
- Daycare & Ambulatory Clinics.
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine Clinics such as Chiropractic & Acupuncture Centres;
- Research facilities;
- Lab & X-Ray Clinics;
- Physio. & Occupational Therapy Clinics;
- Group Homes & Community Living Societies;
- Medical Supply Companies;
- Insurance Companies;
- Wellness & Fitness Centres.
Part A: Computer and Business Office Skills
- Keyboard Skill Building – 40 wpm
- Windows Level 1
- Microsoft Word Levels 1, 2, and 3
- Microsoft Excel Level 1
- Microsoft Access Level 1
- Microsoft Outlook Level 1
- Basic Bookkeeping Level 1
- Job Search and Résumé Writing
- Thought Patterns for a Successful Career
Part B: Medical Administrative/Clinical
- Introduction to Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology Part 1 and Part 2
- Introduction to Medical Transcription
- Medical Office Procedures
- Clinical Procedures
- Standard First Aid
- Basic Rescue (Level C) CPR Certification
Part C: Clinical Placement/Practicum