Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and is able to follow instruction. An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program. Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them. Part-time students may set their own schedules to a minimum of two training sessions per week. These times may be scheduled during the day, evenings, or on weekends
* Not all programs are offered at each location.
This program provides students with the necessary skill and knowledge to support users of computer systems and software applications. It provides in-depth knowledge on evaluating, configuring, and troubleshooting communications hardware, software, and operating systems. This program also introduces the skills necessary to effectively provide remote customer support, and deal with issues Customer Service Help Desk may encounter on the job when addressing customer requirements. This program prepares the student for several industry certifications. These are: CompTIA A+ certification and Microsoft Windows 7 certifications.Available at...
Graduates of this program will find career opportunities with computer hardware manufacturers and retailers, software manufacturers, within their call centres and information technology departments throughout the private and public sectors. Job opportunities often exist within the technical support departments of large companies within the insurance, financial, pharmaceutical, and telecommunications industries. Careers that correspond with the skills learned in this program include:
- Customer Service Help Desk
- User Support Technician
- Computer Help Desk Representative
- Help Desk Technician
- Software Technical Support Analyst
- Systems Technical Support Analyst
Upon completion of the program the participant must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Keyboarding Minimum 25 words per minute (WPM).
- Operating Systems Advanced level of proficiency in a Windows operating system.
- Word Processing Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Office Skills Internet Fundamentals, Personal Computer Fundamentals for End Users, and advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook
- Spreadsheets Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Database Management Basic level of proficiency in one database application.
- Business Skills Grammar Essentials for Business Writing, Business Correspondence Level 1 Customer Service, and Business Math
- Pc Troubleshooting CompTIA A+ 220-901 and CompTIA A+ 220-902
- Help Desk & Call Centre Skills Telephone Communication Skills and Team Dynamics and Personal Development
- Job Readiness/Employability Skills Employment Success Strategies, Job Search and Résumé Writing, and Thought Patterns for a Successful Career
- Microsoft Certification Microsoft Windows 7 Configuring and Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
Students should complete three (3) credits from any of these groups:
- Office Skills
- Word processing
- Database Management