Health Unit Coordinator - Ontario
With the aging population, the tremendous advancements in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well-trained personnel.
Throughout the North American healthcare industry, there is an acute need to increase the size of the workforce, and raise the skill level of that workforce.
The Health Unit Coordinator Certificate program is designed to provide employment-ready and comprehensively-trained graduates. Successful graduates will achieve the Certified Medical Assisting Professional (CMAP) designation in addition to their certificate. These graduates are fully qualified to work in a hands-on administrative and clinical support capacity in the medical industry.
This program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become permanently employable in a medical or hospital setting. Skill development is delivered in three areas:
- Comprehensive hospital administrative knowledge of a nursing unit, management, emergency response codes, infection control, and treatment procedures
- A broad understanding of mental disorders and treatments, workplace ethics relevant to a hospital, communication and interpersonal skills, and interpersonal behaviour
- Understanding and processing medication, laboratory and doctors’ orders, and the fundamentals of admission, discharge, preoperative and postoperative procedures
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- 19 years of age or older (varies, depending on province specific ministry requirements)
- Adequate level of physical health to be able to fulfill job requirements
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (or CAST testing)
- Completion of Wonderlic admission test with minimum score of 18
- Good command of the English language – both written and verbal
- N-95 Mask Fit Testing which may be mandatory based on provincial requirements
- Hepatitis B, other vaccinations and\or a TB test may be required by this industry
- Completion of standard registration form
- A Medical Office Assistant diploma from Academy of Learning College within the last two years
- A Medical Office Assistant diploma from another accredited institution within the last two years; prospective students may use Credit for Prior Learning:
- On transcript
- By challenging courses
- Exceptions may be considered in consultation with the Healthcare Division
*Not all programs are offered at each location.