Medical Office Assistant - Nova Scotia
Medical Office Assistant careers are very rewarding and in high demand, requiring professionals with general healthcare knowledge and office skills.
Medical Office Assistant professionals play a major role in the daily operations in hospitals, clinics, private medical centres, and many other healthcare settings. With an increasing need for medical administrative support in the healthcare industry, career options are typically available throughout the country.
Medical Office Assistant responsibilities
A Medical Office Assistant has a wide range of daily duties, which may include:
- Standard clerical duties, including scheduling appointments, helping patients fill out forms, handling office supplies and resources, etc.
- Maintaining a calendar of staff schedules, patient appointments and visits, and events.
- Updating electronic medical reports.
- Compiling and distributing reports.
A medical office assistant position may require specific knowledge in various branches of the medical industry, including:
- medical terminology
- anatomy and physiology
- hospital and medical office administration practices
- clinical procedures
- operation skills for hospital and outpatient wards
Most medical office assistant positions will require advanced proficiency in the following:
- in-depth organization skills
- computer and office skills, including current software applications and typing skills
- general office management
- basic accounting
- customer service
Medical Office Assistant Training Options
Visit our Healthcare faculty page for more information on the Medical Office Assistant training
programs offered at Academy of Learning College.