COMMUNITY SERVICE WORKER
With the aging population, the tremendous advancements in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well trained personnel. Throughout the North American healthcare industry, there is an acute need to increase the size of the workforce, and raise the skill level of that workforce. A well-trained Community Service Worker (CSW) is equipped with a flexible, adaptable career. Social and community service workers administer and implement a variety of social assistance programs and community services. They assist clients to deal with personal and social problems. They are employed by social service and government agencies, mental health agencies, group homes, shelters, substance abuse centres, school boards, correctional facilities and other establishments.
This program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become permanently employable in a CSW setting. Skill development is delivered in three areas:
- Comprehensive community service worker knowledge, which includes psychology, sociology, family life, mental health, addictions, criminology, dealing with at-risk populations, case management, counselling, ethics, business communication, report writing, and government and social services
- Full range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, and personal and professional development
- On-site work experience through participation in a 160 hour Clinical Placement at an approved CSW facility
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- 19 years of age or older (varies, depending on province-specific ministry requirements)
- Grade 12 or equivalent, or Mature StudentStatus with successful completion of CAST
- Completion of Wonderlic SLE admission test with minimum score of 18
- Adequate level of physical health to be able to fulfill job requirements
- Other medical tests (e.g., TB Test) or proof of vaccinations (e.g., Hep B) may be required by industry prior to placement
- Good command of the English language – both written and oral
- Completion of standard registration form
- Completion of all ILS courses in the CSW program
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
Enter Your Name
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."