PRACTICAL NURSING ACCESS
The Practical Nursing Access diploma program is designed for Health Care Assistants(HCAs) / Residential Care Attendants (RCAs) to meet and exceed the Standards of Practice and Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) in British Columbia and the Code of Ethics, as set out by the College of License Practical Nurses of British Columbia (CLPNBC).
The philosophy of this program is based on the fact of learning being an active process that involves cognitive, emotional and psychomotor activities. The student is a proactive participant in the learning process, and is responsible for applying theory to nursing practice in a dynamic learning environment.
This program provides an environment where critical thinking and problem solving skills are directed toward the mastering of predetermined outcomes. Faculty serves as role models for caring and competent nursing practice. They provide learning experiences utilizing current technologies and theories, guiding students toward the program competencies as set out by CLPNBC.
- A suitable entrance interview with an Academy of Learning College faculty member.
- An Academy of Learning College entrance evaluation including Wonderlic with a minimum score of 20.
- Graduation from Grade 12 (transcripts required), or be 19 years of age or older with a minimum “C” standing in Biology 12, English 12, and Grade 11 Math from an equivalent program (transcripts required).
- Graduation from Anatomy and Physiology for Nursing or equivalency. Contact Campus for more information.
- Clear and relevant Criminal Record check.
- Current and up-to-date Immunization Record and negative TB test. Provide a certificate from a physician certifying that the applicant is physically able to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Provide a current resume along with two (2) personal and two (2) professional character references.
- Current CPR Certificate (level C)/First Aid.
- Current HCA / RCA certificate with Dementia Certification (transcripts required). Hours of experience as an HCA / RCA: minimum 1000 (must be verified by employers as relevant and applicable work experience).
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
Please note that courses offered in the Practical Nursing Access program may not be taken individually and must be taken as part of a registered program.
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."