MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT WITH HEALTH UNIT COORDINATOR SPECIALTY
The Medical Office Assistant with Health Unit Coordinator Specialty Diploma program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become permanently employable in a medical setting. Skill development is delivered in four areas:
- Comprehensive medical administrative knowledge, which includes medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, medical office and clinical administrative procedures
- In-depth hospital administrative knowledge of nursing units, emergency response codes, infection control and treatment procedures, including an understanding of mental disorders and treatments, workplace ethics, and processing medication, laboratory and doctors’ orders
- Full range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, bookkeeping, and personal and professional development
- On-site work experience through participation in a 160 hour Clinical Preceptorship at an approved healthcare facility
Successful graduates will achieve the Certified Medical Assisting Professional (CMAP) designation in addition to their diploma.
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- 19 years of age or older (varies, depending on province specific ministry requirements)
- Adequate level of physical health to be able to fulfill job requirements
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (or CAST testing)
- Completion of Wonderlic admission test with minimum score of 18
- Good command of the English language – both written and verbal
- N-95 Mask Fit Testing which may be mandatory based on provincial requirements
- Hepatitis B, other vaccinations and\or a TB test may be required by this industry
- Completion of standard registration form
*Not all programs are offered at each location.
Enter Your Name
- Accounting Graduate - Dharmendra's Story "It built my confidence to work in Canada."
- Healthcare Graduate - Josie's Story "Academy of Learning prepared me to work in the real world."
- Office Administration Graduate - Luz's Story "They created an incredible environment for students."
- Healthcare Graduate - Carolyn's Story "It's a very positive experience."